U.N. calls for investigation of Palestinian deaths
Oscar Fernandez-Taranco says a probe is needed as the two Palestinian teens were unarmed and posed zero threat to Israeli soldiers. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Defense for Children International as an alert
Disable alert for Defense for Children Inter ...,
Click here to add Hanan Ashrawi as an alert
Disable alert for Hanan Ashrawi,
Click here to add Mohammed Udeh as an alert
Disable alert for Mohammed Udeh,
Click here to add Musaab Nuwarah as an alert
Disable alert for Musaab Nuwarah,
Click here to add Oscar Fernandez-Taranco as an alert
Disable alert for Oscar Fernandez-Taranco,
Click here to add Ramallah as an alert
Disable alert for Ramallah,
Click here to add Tselem as an alert
Disable alert for Tselem
A senior UN official has called for an investigation into the deaths of two Palestinian teenagers shot dead last week by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank.
On Tuesday, Oscar Fernandez-Taranco, the assistant UN secretary general for political affairs, urged an “independent and transparent” probe into the circumstances surrounding the boys’ deaths.
“It is of serious concern that initial information appears to indicate that the two Palestinians killed were both unarmed and appeared to pose no direct threat.”
Musaab Nuwarah, 20, and Mohammed Udeh, 17, were shot during a demonstration marking the 66th anniversary of the Nakba Day, or the Day of Catastrophe, on May 15 outside Ofer prison near the city of Ramallah.
The Palestinian rights group Defense for Children International has released a closed circuit television footage showing the fatal shootings, which rights group B'Tselem says supported its findings that troops killed the teenagers without cause by firing live rounds from more than 200 meters away. The soldiers were in “zero danger” at the time, Sarit Michaeli of B'Tselem noted.
Israeli officials have rejected the footage, saying it is tampered with.
Meanwhile, Hanan Ashrawi from the Palestine Liberation Organization accused the Israeli government of the “deliberate execution” of the two Palestinian teenagers.
“In the strongest possible terms, we condemn the deliberate execution of two Palestinian teenagers who were fatally shot with live ammunition outside Ofer prison last week,” she said on Tuesday.
The senior Palestinian official added that the Israeli government's use of excessive and indiscriminate violence and live ammunition at non-violent Palestinian demonstrations “constitutes war crimes and crimes against humanity under international law.”
The Nakba Day marks the anniversary of the forcible eviction of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians from their homeland by Israeli troops in 1948.
- Independent Investigation Called for on Bahraini Demonstrator Death
- UN calls for investigation into death of Palestinian minister
- Ban calls for investigation into Egyptian prisoner deaths
- Israel's FM rejects international calls for probe into unlawful Palestinian teen killings
- Sweden urges investigation into Israeli killing of Palestinians