Syrian opposition chief addreses Arab summit
Jarba called on the Arab community to provide the Syrian rebels with more “sophisticated” arms and to give Syria’s Arab League seat to the opposition. He also requested the international community give the opposition control of Syria’s embassies worldwide, according to AFP.
In his speech, Jarba urged leaders to “pressure the international community to commit to its promise to supply sophisticated weapons to our revolutionaries.”
Rebels have repeatedly asked for anti-missile weaponry to defeat Assad’s superior air force.
The summit began today amid tensions and turmoil, as the Syrian conflict continues to drive wedges between the Gulf community.
- Syria to be focus of Arab Summit as GCC rift put on the back burner
- Syrian opposition not quite ready to take Arab League seat
- Syrian opposition leader to meet Hollande
- Suspended seats and resigned rebels: Syria's ex opposition chief to address AL at Doha
- Syria opposition to take full possession of Arab League seat