Zarif: Iran ready to help end Syrian civil war
Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran’s foreign minister, says Tehran is ready to help end the Syrian conflict, AFP reports.
In a meeting with U.N. Arab League envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi, Zarif said that Iran is willing to help with any “logical” solution.
“Iran is ready to help any logical attempts which are based on the realities of Syria, particularly those efforts made by the United Nations (which) are being pursued by Lakhdar Brahimi,” said Zarif.
Zarif added that “without being affected by the pressures of some countries, the U.N. should play its independent role and continue its attempts to resolve the crisis.”
Iran has been a strong supporter of Assad’s regime and is known to fund Hezbollah, a Shia militant group that has joined forces with the Syrian army.
- Iran ready to attend Geneva talks, but Syrian opposition attendance remains undecided
- Iran insists on right to enrich, but not on others to recognize it
- Iran says that it has "the absolute right" to enrich uranium
- Moderate appointed as Iran’s new ambassador to United Nations
- Iran's Zarif, Brahimi discuss Syria talks