Syria talks fail to agree on easing aid blockade
Syrian governement delegation on peace talks at the United Nations headquarters on January 31, 2014 in Geneva. [AFP]
Click here to add Arab League as an alert
Disable alert for Arab League,
Click here to add BBC as an alert
Disable alert for BBC,
Click here to add Geneva as an alert
Disable alert for Geneva,
Click here to add Homs as an alert
Disable alert for Homs,
Click here to add U.N. News Center as an alert
Disable alert for U.N. News Center,
Click here to add United Nations as an alert
Disable alert for United Nations,
Click here to add Valerie Amos as an alert
Disable alert for Valerie Amos
Relief officials in Syria said this week's peace talks inn Geneva,Switzerland, had not opened the doors to humanitarian aid to country's beleaguered civilians.
A high-priority goal of the fledgling negotiations was supposed to have been better access to civilians stuck in combat zones but the situation was little changed as of Saturday.
Valerie Amos, who is in charge of the United Nations aid program for Syria, told the BBC a few thousand families have gained access to assistance, but nothing had made it into the besieged city of Homs despite an agreement for a cease-fire.
"We haven't made any progress, to speak of," U.N.-Arab League Joint Special Representative Lakhdar Brahimi told reporters in Geneva.
The U.N. News Center said in a written dispatch relief convoys were waiting a few miles from Homs for a signal that the fighting had been halted.
Representatives of the two sides returned to their respective corners after claiming credit for standing up to one another. The United Nations said rebels had agreed to attend the next negotiating session Feb. 10, but the government had not committed.