Brahimi: New round of peace talks on Syria "out of the question"
UN Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi told reporters in Kuwait Monday that holding another round of peace talks between Syria's ruling government and the opposition is currently "out of the question," according to Agence France Presse.
"A return to Geneva is out of question for the time being because the criteria have not been met," Brahimi said.
Brahimi previously cut off the peace talks in Geneva earlier this year to "give government and opposition an opportunity to take stock."
The negotiations ended on February 15 and a new date for another round of negotiations has not been set.
Brahimi has previously accused the Syrian government for delaying efforts to resume peace talks during a UN Security Council briefing in early March, according to AFP's diplomat sources.
More than 140,000 people have died in the Syrian civil war which began in March 2011.
- Brahimi apologizes to Syrians over lack of progress in peace talks
- U.N. chief calls for new round of Syria peace talks, says regime must be "more constructive'
- UN envoy holds talks with Kuwait on return of archives
- New Syria opposition leader rules out Russian brokered peace talks
- Syrian opposition tells UN's Brahimi to "stay neutral," Assad compares Syria to Algeria