Debated Soap Opera Line-up Shows for Ramadan
This Ramadan, there has been an awareness that we will have a reduction in the usual much-anticipated soap opera season line-up. There has been a general decline in the film production industry in the Middle East related to a struggling economy that cuts back on the entertainment sector, but moreover a drastic decline since the Arab revolutions.
Last year saw 101 shows aired, and this year sees a cutback in 35%, leaving us with 65 hours of entertainment a day. Continue reading below »
We have 40 Egyptian shows, 30 Syrian and 27 Gulf shows.
Besides these cut-backs, some of this years shows have caused various degrees of . Here is the controversial line-up of disputed shows.
- Ramadan TV's Real Drama: outrage at alcohol, iPhones and hugs
- Ramadan uncut! TV shows that nearly got axed from the holy line-up
- Political shows took over the 2013 soap opera scene like a "Heat Wave"
- Ramadan TV line-up: the new, the old and the controversial
- Ramadan-o-rama: 2013 Egyptian soaps are historical "artefacts"