This 10 year-old girl almost became Afghanistan's first child suicide bomber
Police in southern Afghanistan rescued a girl wearing a suicide vest that her brother allegedly gave her, officials said.
The girl, who police said was no older than 10, was discovered Sunday near a police checkpoint in the Khan Nasheen district of Helmand province, NBC News reported.
"She was crying and told border police that she was made obliged by her brother to do suicide attack on them," Hamidullah Siddiqi, an Afghan border police official, told NBC News.
The girl's brother was identified as Zahir, a Taliban commander.
Siddiqi said the girl may not have been able to operate the detonator to the explosive device.
Authorities in the area are now searching for Zahir.
- Sheesha odor gives rapist away
- Sleepless in Kuwait: A girl is in a 'sticky' situation after losing a dongle containing private pictures
- Travel brides: Saudi shleps to India for underage orphan bride, dumps after honeymoon
- Suicide Attack in Kabul Spoils Ashura
- Itsy bitsy, teenie weenie...Burkini? Muslim girl not allowed to miss swim class due to religion