Algeria to donate World Cup prize money to Gaza
The Algerian national team, which gave Germany a run for their money in this week's World Cup quarterfinal game, announced that it will be donating their prize money to the people of Gaza, the Daily Mail reported Thursday.
Algeria forward Islam Slimani, who plays for Sporting Lisbon, was quoted by the Mail as saying, "They need it more than us."
The team returned home to a heroes' welcome after they managed to push Germany into extra-time, before conceding 2-1.
- Get your helmets on! UAE cyclists will bike across the U.S. to raise money for Gaza children
- Saddam's stash? $27 billion USD lying unclaimed at Moscow airport
- Muslim world cup performance this Ramadan: Algerian players let off the hook for the big Germany game
- Uniquely Algerian: DZ manga revolutionizing the comics world
- Football Victory Marred by Tyre bombs