All the world’s a stage! Saudi female playwright, actress takes her show on the road - internationally!
It's show time for Saudi Arabia! (Shutterstock)
Maisah Sobaihi is a playwright, director and performer. She made history when she got global headlines as the first Saudi woman to perform a one-man show in Monodrama Theater and the first Saudi to perform at the renowned and prestigious Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
Her production “Head Over Heels” presents issues revolving around the Saudi woman in her marriage, career, relationships and her daily life.
Speaking to Saudi Gazette, Maisah Sobaihi said she decided to perform this play abroad to represent the Saudi woman rather than have others portray the Saudi woman falsely in the media.
“They don’t know us as the productive women. I prefer to break stereotypes. We get upset when others talk about us. I acted.”
She first performed in the renowned Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2013. She then moved on to introducing the Arabic version in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
The comedy drama regularly receives positive feedback from an enthusiastic audience where many sympathize with the roles of the characters played out.
By Layan Damanhouri
- Dubai rolls out the pink carpet for Nicki Minaj's debut UAE show
- Sensational Saudi singer Rotana Tarabzouni chases her dream towards music stardom
- Exclusive: Myriam "Tinker Bell" Fares talks about her Dubai Peter Pan debut
- 66 years later, first Saudi woman to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- The Growth of the Middle East’s Art Market Takes Centre Stage as the DIFC Gulf Art Fair Reaches Out to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar