Scandinavian scandal! Netanyahu in big trouble...because son Yair is dating a Norwegian non-Jew
- Yair Netanyahu, 23, is dating 25-year-old Norwegian Sandra Leikanger, currently studying in Israel. (Photo courtesy: Dagen)1 of 2
- Yair is seen here sitting next to Sandra (in white) in Tel Aviv in summer 2013. How long has this relationship been going on for? (Image courtesy of Jewish Journal)2 of 2
The Netanyahu household is in disarray after religious lawmakers slammed the Israeli Prime Minister's son for being in a relationship with a woman who is not Jew, media reported Sunday.
Norwegian newspaper Dagen reported that Yair Netanyahu, 23, was dating 25-year-old Norwegian Sandra Leikanger, currently studying in Israel, Agence France Presse reported.
Dagen reported that at a meeting in Davos, Switzerland, Benjamin Netanyahu (also known as Bibi) told his Norwegian counterpart Erna Solberg that Yair and Sandra had recently vay-cayed in Norway.
The Jewish Journal reported that the love affair between Yair and his pretty shiksa has potentially been going on since summer 2013, when the pair were spotted drinking in a Tel Aviv nightclub.
Nissim Zeev, a member of the ultra-Orthodox Shas party, told Israeli publication Jerusalem Post on Sunday that Bibi must "display national responsibility" as prime minister and urge Yair to end his relationship with the Scandinavian beauty.
"It's a big problem," he said, AFP reported. "I bet it pains him."
MP Moshe Feiglin, a hardline member of Netanyahu's ruling right-wing Likud party, told the Jerusalem Post that the young love between Yair and non-Jewish Sandra "is very unfortunate."
It's not only from within his party that Bibi is getting no love for Yair's boo-thang - accoring to AFP, the extremist Israeli organization Lehava, which says it aims "to prevent assimilation in the Holy Land," called on the Prime Minister "to prevent this relationship."
"Your grandchildren, as you know, will not be Jewish," Lehava director Bentzi Gopshtain warned the Israeli premier in a Facebook post, according to AFP.
Judaism is traditionally matrilineal, in which a child's religion is determined by that of its mother.
Yair is the son of Netanyahu's third wife, Sara. Netanyahu was himself married to a non-Jewish woman, Fleur Cates, between 1981 and 1984, AFP said.
Netanyahu has so far refused to comment on Yair's reported relationship.
- Netanyahu's hernia surgery went well
- Netanyahu needs to improve his PDA policy: Israel still unhappy at his son dating Gentile Norwegian beauty
- Secret Santas: Netanyahu and Pope Francis exchange gifts
- Jewish PM to forgo meeting with Pope Francis
- Sharon Hammered by Media After Netanyahu Out-Duels Him at Likud Meeting