Don’t drive under the influence of sleep. Sleepy son kills dad in road crash
The driver's father was killed after being serially injured in the crash (File/AFP)
A 20-year-old Emirati, whose car rammed a truck killing his 62-year-old father after he fell asleep behind the wheel, has been released by the Traffic Prosecution in consideration of his hard mental state.
Dubai Traffic Chief Prosecutor Salah Bu Farroucha Al Felasi said the youngster was driving his car on Emirates Road on Monday when the vehicle rammed a truck around 8.49pm because he did not leave enough distance between the two vehicles.
The youngster’s father, who was travelling with him at the time, got badly injured and died shortly later. The errant motorist admitted he felt sleepy and had not paid attention to the road.
Upon instructions from Dubai Attorney-General Essam Issa Al Humaidan, the Traffic Prosecution decided to release the son pending investigation. “All necessary legal procedures are being taken. We have already started our investigation in coordination with the police station of Al Foqah,” Bu Farroucha said.
Technical experts have been assigned to inspect the accident scene and prepare their reports about it and the case file will be referred to the Traffic Prosecution to take the necessary action, Bu Farroucha added.
- Ramadan head-rush: Ferrari versus date tree
- UAE driver racks up $252,000 in traffic tickets
- One time too slow: UAE police arrest driver with 580 traffic violations after she is caught speeding
- Perpetuating the stereotype: Female driver slapped with huge fine in UAE
- Dubai police launch operation 'Desert without Blood' to crackdown on quad bike joy riders