Drag queens hit Dubai but will they be cheered or locked up?
A Dubai nightclub is set to play host to a troupe of drag queens tonight.
The tarted-up trio of Willam Belli, Detox and Vicky Vox, who all appeared on crossdresser RuPaul’s Drag Race television show in the US, will take to the stage at the ‘Trouble’ event at Chi nightclub.
However, organisers behind the frilly bash insist that there will be nothing controversial about the drag queen event.
“It’s a stage performance, not a sexual performance,” said Mohammed Ramo, a promoter at Box Entertainment, the event’s management company behind the Chi gig.
“There have been drag acts in Dubai. Hairspray was staged here with Edna Turnblad.
“They’re stage performers, they’re singers.”
Belli has a running role in television show ‘Nip/Tuck’ and has also featured in hit programmes such as ‘My Name is Earl’ and ‘CSI: New York’.
What do you think about the show? Is it just a bit of fun or should the UAE authorities clamp down on it? Share your thoughts with us below.
- Prominent British Muslim leader says gays have an obligation to control their desires
- What a drag! Beirut air authorities put out naked smoking ban protest
- Dubai club busted for letting in party kids as young as 12
- If they won't come, we'll drag them?! You won't believe what is going to happen to some Saudi husbands....
- Dubai nightclub's pet monkey causes major animal rights backlash