A pound of flesh for an ounce of gold: Dubai’s heavies shed fat for gold in diet challenge
Dubai's dieters taking part in a unqiue weight loss challenge have more to gain than a hot new body!
At the end of their five-week fitness challenge, the biggest loser is eligible to earn over $3,200 worth of gold, according to The Associated Press.
Dubai Municipality's "Your Weight in Gold" contest promises to reward all registered residents who lose more than two kilograms with a gram of gold for each kilogram lost, according to The National.
With hundreds of participants singing up to win some precious gold, it seems the authorities have succeeded in raising awareness about obesity and publicising weight loss programmes. According to AP, obesity rates are rising across the Gulf.
The National newspaper on Sunday quoted a weigh-off official, Mona Ossama, as saying the biggest drop was a man who lost 22 kilos. Anyone shedding more than 10 kilos earns three grams of gold per kilo lost. Smaller gold payouts were given for those who lost between two and 10 kilos, AP reported.
- Would-be grooms feel the heat as jewelers raise summer prices
- Nobody puts baby in a corner! Nine-month-old girl wins $40,000 worth of gold in Dubai raffle
- Has your child lost weight? Dubai will give you gold!
- Your weight in gold, battling Dubai obesity
- Good as gold: Dubai cleaner rewarded after returning bag full of booty to owner