Shamed Egyptian wife forced to cough up over $8,000 for 'virginity lie'
A woman has been ordered to pay Dhs30,000 (around $8,000) to her husband for lying to him about being a virgin and not telling him she had been married before.
Abu Dhabi Appeal Court upheld a ruling by the court of first instance on Sunday that found the Egyptian woman guilty of deceiving her husband. And it also increased the compensation payout from Dhs10,000 ($2,700) to Dhs30,000.
The court heard that the woman, who had divorced her first husband made false statements, with the help of her father, in the couple’s marriage contract - stating that she had never been married or had sex. Court records show that after three years of marriage, and the birth of a child, her current husband received a text message from an unknown person telling him that his wife had been married in the past.
A copy of the woman’s divorce document was also sent to the husband as proof. He then filed a lawsuit against his wife for lying to him.
He claimed compensation from her for the emotional damages he suffered, claiming that he was suffering from depression and had lost trust in the people around him as a result of her deception.
The husband also accused his wife of undergoing surgery to make it look like she was a virgin.
Is $8,000 a fair payout? Do you think a lot of women in the region are lying about their virginity or hiding previous marriages? Share your comments with us below!
- He had it coming! Dubai man's three-way-sex with his 2 wives ends in divorce
- Emirati woman fights for bigger divorce settlement from porn-obsessed husband
- Flogging Saudi: Yemeni man gets smack down for accusing spouse of sex secrets
- Seriously, she's the devil! Dubai man granted divorce because wife is possessed
- Saudi marriage up in smoke after wife divorces husband over cigarette sins