Doggy Defiance: Walking in show of government resistance
Iranians taking their dogs for “walkies” on the streets of the Islamic Republic has been increasingly seen as a way to defy the government, Britain’s the Guardian reported this week.
Owning dogs has become an growingr trend in Iran’s urban upper class over the past 15 years, despite the practice technically being prohibited by Islamic law.
Ordinances created three years ago have allowed authorities to seize dogs being walked outside in addition to imposing heavy fines from $100 to $500 for the “seditionist” or “un-Islamic” act.
Now, dog owners are reportedly using the walks in protest of the ordinances. As the legislation is unevenly enforced, according to the newspaper, walking dogs in public has become a de facto symbol of defiance against authority.
The act has become something Iranians are testing more and more under its new, seemingly more moderate administration.
Owning a dog is also largely seen as conforming to Western norms, something frowned upon to say the least by conservatives. The bill states that dog ownership “poses a cultural problem, a blind imitation of the vulgar culture of the West.”
In June 2010, Grand Ayatollah Naser Makarem Shirzi labeled dog companionship as a blind imitation of Western culture, warning that such behavior would lead to family corruption and damage societal values.
The constant fluctuation within civic life of things permitted and forbidden is common within Iranian society and mirrors the consistently wavering political atmosphere.
Although newly-elected President Hassan Rowhani has made promises of moderation have given hope to some, Tehran is still patrolled by moral police condemning those who violate Islamic dress code.
- Dubai's pets hardly protest: Four-legged guests get 7-star hotel room service!
- Who let the dogs out? Malaysia dog petting fest wags a few tails in the Muslim world
- Musical tragedy in NYC as Iranian "Yellow Dog" musicians slain in murder-suicide
- Shake it off! Iranian woman takes off hijab and dances in defiance of restrictive laws
- Fitness Unleashed!... A Dog and Owner's Guide to Losing Weight and Gaining Health Together for the New Year!