A Persian New Year surprise: Winter wonderland hits Iran
An unexpected winter wonderland hit Iran Monday leaving many visitors who came to see family during the Nowruz holidays stranded in the northern part of the country, according to Agence France Presse.
IRNA news agency reported that approximately 14,000 travellers have been caught in the heavy snow since Sunday.
"Some 32 people were hospitalised while 1,600 people have been settled in emergency shelters," said Red Crescent spokesman Hossein Derakshan to IRNA.
The unexpected storm is rare for this time of year in Iran, and has unfortunately coincided with one of the country's biggest celebrations: The Persian New Year, Nowruz.
- Enchanting: Lebanese Fashion in Paris
- UAE residents splash the cash on faux snowmen and fake flakes for a white Christmas
- Puss in space boots: Iran to launch Persian cat into orbit?
- How to win this new Iranian computer game? Shoot the country's opposition figures
- Will the last one to support the Syrian regime, please turn out the lights