The Israeli Grinches who stole Christmas...again!
Issa Kassissieh, dressed as Santa Claus, carries a Christmas tree outside the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem. [mondoweiss]
he speaker of Israeli parliament has denied a request by a Christian lawmaker to display a Christmas tree in the parliament building, a spokesman for the speaker says.
Speaker Yuli Edelstein rejected his colleague’s request to publicly display a Christmas tree, but said he could have one in his office or in his party’s conference room, the Associated Press reported.
A spokesman for Edelstein said on Monday that keeping a tree in Parliament until Orthodox Christmas ends on January 7 would be too long.
This isn’t the first ban on Christmas trees in Israel.
The mayor of an Israeli town bordering Nazareth has refused to allow town-sponsored Christmas trees in the past, despite the fact that the town has some Christian residents.
- Bah Humbug! Have ghosts of Christmas past forgotten to visit Kuwait's old miser Scrooge?
- Dubai Gets "Fresh" With Christmas Trees
- "Merry Christmas" is haram, claims top cleric
- No checkpoints for him: Santa Claus comes to town in Palestine
- Festive inter-faith sweeps Muslim America! Christmas increasingly celebrated by Muslims with their Christian pals