Kuwait curtails crime: Rapists jailed and fined for attacking woman in her apartment
The victim's money, credit cards and mobile phones were also stolen by the rapists (File/Shutterstock)
Kuwait’s Court of Appeals has upheld a verdict by a lower court to sentence two rapists to five years in jail and pay their victim 53,000 dinars Dh687,739 ($187,200) in compensation.
The defendants were found guilty of assaulting a young woman and raping her in her apartment.
According to the case papers, the victim had invited friends to a dinner party. However, she felt tired and went to her room to rest. She was later woken up by bangs on the door and the two men storming into the room where they assaulted and raped her. Before leaving, they took her mobile phones, credit cards and money, local daily Al Rai reported on Monday.
During the trial in the lower court, the victim’s lawyer said the victim had suffered morally and materially from the attack and that her reputation had been tarnished.
He called for a severe punishment for the defendants and for adequate compensation for the victim to help her deal with the incident.
The defendants lodged an appeal to challenge the decision.
- Jordan's justice spares no mercy: Father to hang for raping daughter '288 times'
- Dubai's Facebook pimps are jailed for three to five years
- Bahrain brothel gone awry: Female pimp gets 10 years in the slammer for her Gulf sex-trafficking ring
- Hanging of Kuwaiti woman upheld for crime of passion, killing 57
- Dodgy nightclub ID lands Moroccan woman in Dubai jail