Maradona's public kiss rouses anger in Algeria
Footballing legend Diego Maradona stirred controversy in Algeria after he kissed his girlfriend in public during a ceremony organized by the government.
Maradona, who was attending a promotional ceremony on the occasion of public company Mobilis’ launch of 3G, kissed his girlfriend during the ceremony in the presence of ministers, a photo published on social networking websites revealed.
Algeria’s minister of youth and sports Mohammad Tahmi appeared to have been embarrassed by the former footballer’s act as the photo showed he looked away.
Sitting on Maradona’s left was minister of telecommunications Zahra Darduri, but the photo being circulated on social media did not capture her facial expressions in reaction to the kiss.
The photo attracted sharp criticism against the government as many Algerians considered Maradona’s act as an insult of the state, according to local media.
The organizing committee did not comment on the incident but activists spoke out against Maradona via social media and inquired whether Maradona would have acted as such in another Arab country.
Earlier this year however, Maradona was in the spotlight after images of him with numerous women in a number of locations, including swimming pools and parties, in various states of undress alerted Dubai authorities while he was working in the emirate.
- ElBaradei, Angelina Jolie's Kiss at Awards Ceremony Sets Internet Ablaze
- Sexy and she knows it: Lebanese skiier "bares" nude photo shoot criticism with no regrets
- Cedar in the C-Cup: Lebanon's tweeps get patriotic over topless Olympian's Twin Peaks
- Scantily clad Belgian babes strike a pose at Moroccan mosque
- What honor? Facebook photo furore as Tunisian girl goes topless