Snug as a drug in a rug? Authorities find heroin woven into Pakistani rugs
Honey, don't let the kids near the new rug! (AFP/File)
Authorities at Manchester International Airport seized a heroin shipment estimated at $8.4 million concealed in woven rugs shipped from Peshawar.
"It was a sophisticated concealment and demonstrates the lengths organized crime groups go to in an effort to avoid detection," said Pete Avery of the National Crime Agency's Border Policing Command.
The 110 lb. shipment was sent from Peshawar via Abu Dhabi and came to the attention of the Border Force after a drug sniffing dog detected the concealed heroin.
Two unidentified men, ages 35 and 51, were arrested in connection with the shipment.
The seizure, which has just been made public, occurred in April.
- Overdose in Dubai? Record $31 million Captagon pills seized in UAE
- Feeling bloated? 830kg of pure heroin seized in passenger's stomach at Dubai airport
- Leg-tied: passenger found with heroin tied to legs
- Dubai's big stink: Arab drug dealers caught in botched stilton-smuggling attempt
- Captagon pills siezed at Beirut airport