Arabs, big yachts, working girls: the real entertainment at Cannes Film Festival
Cannes top hotels do not only house movie stars and models during the film festival.
From the 15th to the 26th of May, lobbys fill with escorts and prostitutes who look for wealthy customers, often Arab men, according to Al-Arabiya.
'We all look forward to it,' said Daisey, a local prostitute in Cannes who has her own website. 'There's a lot of competition because there are so many girls, but the local ones have an advantage. We know the hotel concierges', Al-Arabiya reported her saying.
The prostitutes perform on the numerous luxury boats that throw their anchor on the Riviera during the festival.
'Every boat has about 10 girls on it; they are usually models, and they are usually nude or half nude. . . The girls are all waiting for their envelopes at the end of the night. It's been going on there for 60 years,' Lebanese businessman Elie Nahas told the Hollywood Reporter.
Yet, alongside these lucky few, local prostitues, sometimes oder or less desirable, also walk the streets for a way less attractive $75 per hour.
- Cannes Film Festival ends in triumph for Arab films
- Palestinian cutting-edge beauty parlor film shows Cannes the real women of Gaza
- Keep rolling: Filmmakers celebrate the second film festival in the history of Saudi Arabia!
- Samira Makhmalbaf portrays the big dreams, but small triumphs of Afghan women at Cannes
- Five American University of Sharjah films shortlisted at Festival de Cannes