Arab leaders still spending: Qatari PM splashes out on $100m NYC penthouse
Sheik Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber al-Thani is in the process of buying an ultra-luxurious two-story, 10,923-square-foot penthouse condo in Manhattan's under-construction One57 condominium, the New York Post reported Monday.
The condo, which features at least five bedrooms, a
grand salon, a large mezzanine, four fireplaces and floor-to-ceiling windows, will cost the sheik nearly $100 million, Realtors said.
But, that's not all: The sheik is also in discussions with Extell Development about buying four full-floor condos in the 90-story One57 building for extra room for his two wives, 15 children and a massive entourage.
At one point, they were talking about doing it in pieces, like four separate units, the four top floors, so no one knows about it, a person with knowledge of the deal said.
The extra condos would bring the total purchase price to about $250 million.
What do you think about the Sheikh's new purchase? Tell us your thoughts below.
- Romney's slippery slope of blunders: shooting from the hip on killing 'Sheiks'
- Robbed blind? Qatar woman splashes out over $650,000 on Emir's spectacles
- Billy goat glamorous: Saudi man splashes out $3.5 million on prize goat
- Emir's flying visit to Gaza leaves Hamas back in the regional good books
- Lap of luxury: Saudi princess splashes out $62 million on Geneva estate