Fast and Furious: Saudi man gets 1,000 lashes for reckless driving
The General Court here has sentenced a young man to 10 years in prison, 1,000 lashes and a lifetime driving ban for a series of car drifting offenses.
The 23-year-old man, known as "The King of Nazeem Neighborhood”, appeared many times on YouTube videos drifting with his car and sometimes driving into oncoming traffic.
In one of the videos, he and two of his friends were holding machine guns and shooting in the air in broad daylight. He also caused the death of one of the young men riding with him while he was drifting.
Many residents in Riyadh expressed concern and fear about the man’s reckless behavior and disregard for public safety. The three-judge panel did not uphold the demand of the prosecutor general to sentence the man to death, striking down his motion with a two to one majority.
The prosecutor general objected to the court’s verdict and demanded the case be reviewed, insisting the defendant should be executed because of his actions that had killed a man.
Riyadh Police’s undercover officers arrested the man in November 2012 while he was hiding inside a house on the outskirts of the capital.
Inside, they confiscated 21 tires and different tools as well as license plates he used to divert police attention.
They also found false identification cards and other documents.
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Don't get mad, get even! Saudi wife has revenge on husband by racking up $80,000 worth of traffic fines
- Saudi woman sentenced to 10 lashes for defying driving ban can now vote!
- The legacy of King Abdullah: the good, the bad and the downright ugly
- Saudi blogger gets 10 year jail term and 1,000 lashes