Don't try this at home: MENA moonshine leaves the region's boozers at risk
In the dry climes of Saudi Arabia, boozy locals have been resorting to dangerous measures to get their hands on a drink.
In a recent report, Saudi newspaper, Al Riyadh, claimed that those enjoying a tipple of locally made wine could be swallowing anything from dead animals to sewage water.
According to Al Riyadh, statistics show that 93 per cent of locally made wine is produced by foreign workers, who transform the beverage into a lethal chemical substance that can cause fatal illness, leaving people with more to worry about than a sore head the next morning.
The paper explained that some wine makers put animal remains into wine during the fermentation process, while others use sewage water which has reportedly led to blindness.
The report also accuses foreign workers of adding poisonous chemicals, such as clorox, to the hooch.
Dr. Mohammad Al Mahrous, a consultant and researcher in Clinical Science Microbes, confirmed the risks of drinking black market booze.
Mahrous told the paper that the pungent 'local wine' can lead to serious and lasting kidney and liver problems and even brain damage.
And it's not just Saudis risking their health for a tipple.
Earlier this month, over 40 people in Libya died after drinking homemade alcohol containing poisonous methanol.
According to the Ministry of Health, the country, which has had a ban on alcohol since 1969, has seen over 378 cases of methanol-poisoning.
But while the dangers of home-brewed hooch are clear, for locals looking to wet their whistle in these dry countries, there is no other choice.
What could be done to limit the dangers of black market booze? Would you risk your health for a drink in an alcohol-free country? Share your comments with us below!