Nuptial nightmare: Saudi groom thrown in prison for assaulting bride's family at his own wedding
A wedding joy turned into a tragedy after the groom ended up in prison on charges of assaulting the bride’s relatives minutes before the end of the party.
As the celebrations, held in a hall in Mecca in western Saudi Arabia, were about to end, the groom wanted a picture with his new bride.
However, the bride’s elder sister objected to the presence of a man in the room for the picture, pulled her sister aside and asked the groom to leave, local Arabic daily Okaz reported.
However, the groom insisted on the picture and an intense argument with the bride’s sister erupted.
The situation quickly degenerated and the groom reportedly assaulted the woman, prompting her female relatives to join in the fight.
Attempts by the distraught bride to calm the situation down failed and the brawl spread to include male relatives.
As the groom fled the scene, several women complained to the police, saying that they were the victims of an assault.
The groom was arrested hours later and his case was transferred to the investigation unit.
Online readers sympathised with the groom and blamed the elder sister for spoiling the party.
They said that she had no right to interfere in the couple’s wishes and that she should not have asked the groom to leave the room.
- Wedding night blues: Sex-tape goes public, bride goes home
- Two brides, One groom: We all know this isn't going to end well
- Saudi man finds himself married after going through with a dare by his friends
- If you wannabe my husband, you gotta marry my friends: Saudi bride's bizarre demand to new husband
- Emirati woman fights for bigger divorce settlement from porn-obsessed husband