No country for poor men: Saudi man beats worker for talking to wife
Foreign laborers work at a construction site in the Saudi capital Riyadh. Like women, workers are deprived of the most basic rights in Saudi Arabia. (Image credit: AFP)
Human rights groups have called for an official investigation after a video surfaced on the Internet showing a Saudi man beating an Asian employee.
In the video, an Asian man in orange overalls is repeatedly hit by a Saudi national wearing a white robe according to Reuters. The Saudi accuses the Asian man of talking to his wife. He then flogs the worker with a belt and kicking the worker, who screams in pain. The incident appears to have taken place in the Saudi national’s home.
Al Arabiya television said the state Human Rights Commission was looking into the case after receiving a complaint
Last month, Saudi Arabia’s human rights record came under fire at the United Nations. Critics have accused the kingdom of abusing the rights of workers and women.
What do you think? Is Saudi Arabia hypocritical for talking about human rights in Syria at the UN, while ignoring them at home?
- The Saudi Witch Trial: 73rd Beheading is a Saudi Woman
- That's Arab Gangsta: US citizen FAIL in viral shoe throwing school video
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Oops. This poor Saudi woman was married to the wrong man for 18 years!
- The MENA Gender Equity movement: Arab men at the forefront for women's rights