Saudi women do better with foreign men than with Saudis, marriage statistics show
A family consultant questioned the reliability of statistics released by the Justice Ministry that showed about 90 percent of marriages between Saudi women and foreign men were successful.
Dr. Fawziyah Ashmakh said it was important to verify the accuracy of these statistics. “The longevity of these marriages does not mean there are no obstacles and problems, but it is a matter for women to prove to themselves and to society that their decision was correct,” she said.
The statistics put the divorce rate for marriages between Saudi men and Saudi women at 21 percent, the Mecca daily reported.
Yemenis represented the bulk of foreign men marrying Saudi women, followed by Syrians and Qataris.
Saudi courts last year registered 1,925 marriages between Saudi women and foreign men, of which 190 ended in divorce, as opposed to 2,488 marriages between Saudi men and foreign women, of which 612 ended in divorce.
- You're invited! Saudi's single ladies are throwing parties to celebrate...divorce?!
- American in Arabia Muses on Saudi 'Misyar' Marriages: 'Halal Hook-Ups'
- 'Not enough sex'? The desert Kingdom reports 1, 650 frustrated Saudis filing for divorce in 2013
- Saudi women scuba divers demand their own section of the sea
- Divorce rates high in 30-somethings Saudi Women /Qaddafi voted funniest Arab Comic