Saudi Wife 'Switch': The Perils of Meeting Your Bride on Wedding Day
Making up of 10% of divorce cases, not meeting one's fiancé before the wedding can lead to marital unrest. (Image source: "http://outofacademia.wordpress.com")
A newspaper report, on Tuesday, confirmed that a young Saudi man discovered on his wedding night, that his bride was switched with her older less attractive sister.
The Saudi newspaper “Sabaq”, reported the young man, who felt shortchanged, saying that, “I went to see my cousin (the bride), whom I intended to marry. She captured me with her beauty; she was also of a suitable age.” He expressed his happiness and his unrestrained desire to marry her.
He went on to add, “On the wedding day, I was astounded and had the shock of my life, when I discovered that, the one I dreamt of, my beautiful bride was “switched” with her older, less attractive sister”. He expressed his sorrow for being tricked by his uncle’s family, and wasted no time before divorcing his wife the next day.
A family counselor said that, 10% of divorce cases occur due to the lack of flexibility of the parents of the bride and groom , who do not allow the legitimate marital “look-over”. She further points out that this delayed meeting causes marital disputes when couples are prohibited from viewing, let alone knowing, each other before marriage.
- Meeting your bride on your wedding day doesn't just happen in Saudi - Aussies are doing it on TV!
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Runaway groom! Saudi man divorces bride on wedding night after seeing her face
- Longest wedding ever! Clooneys' juicy wedding details revealed
- Syrian women choose abuse over divorce