Saudi women take the law into their own hands
A video showing women in abayas retaliating against a man trying to harass them went viral this week and has drawn various reactions from netizens across the Kingdom.
The 47-second video entitled, “Young girls attacked in Jeddah Corniche,” was uploaded Friday and shows a man approaching three girls in abayas. Later, the man begins to kick one of the girls and is beaten up and overpowered by her two companions. The ruckus soon attracts a crowd of concerned citizens who break up the fight.
The identities and nationalities of the women were withheld in the video. The video was uploaded on YouTube by someone who goes by the username of “alweeam.com.” As of Saturday, the video has been viewed 3,432 times.
Netizens from different parts of the Kingdom commented on the video via Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. While a number of comments were in favor of the man getting beaten up, others thought that his actions were due to his seeming “lack of education.” A few questioned the authenticity of the video asking if it “really happened this week”, while some discussed the ethics in Saudi Arabia.
Several incidents of abuse have been reported this month. Earlier this week, a video showing men abusing women in Dhahran drew angry reactions from several quarters in the Kingdom.
Meanwhile, the Saudi government has recently announced the development of a new system to combat abuse especially of women and children, which will be discussed next week.
- Niqabs no replacement for helmets in Saudi: female motorbike accidents on the rise
- Disturbing YouTube video of Russian thugs burning Quran, beating up Muslims sparks police investigation
- The new religious police: boozy Brits confronted by Islamic vigilantes
- Girls on wheels: Egyptian girls cycling to blur the boundaries between the separate spheres
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night