86-year-old swaps senior bus pass for ticket to the record books as SkyDive Dubai's oldest daredevil
Most 86-year-olds would happily settle for a nice new cardigan and a good book to celebrate their birthday. Fearless Dick Corbit isn’t one of them.
Yesterday the father of four and grandad of six wrote himself into the record books when he became SkyDive Dubai’s oldest ever jumper.
Corbit plunged nearly 4,000m out of a plane above the The Palm Jumeirah to blow away the previous record by 13 years.
The WWII US Navy veteran’s verdict of his first ever parachute jump?
“It was great,” he said.
“The only thing that was a little scary was having to bend down so much at the door - apart from that it was great.”
Seeing the Palm while plummeting down at Superman speeds was “breathtaking”.
The Blanchard, Idaho resident - on holiday with wife Ella, 84, visiting their teacher daughter Lisa in the UAE - said of the tandem parachute jump: “They sent with me out with the best guy there and he turned me around coming down so we could see everything.”
Corbit was greeted on his successful landing by scores of photographers, a loving hug from Ella – and a birthday cake courtesy of SkyDive Dubai.
Is he brave or is he mad? Would you sky dive at 86? Share your comments with us below!
- Daredevil grandpa heads to Dubai for his sky high "safe" jump
- Iraq dives over the edge.... into a new world record!
- UAE flying high with record breaking skydive
- 2014 "running late" in Dubai's world record fireworks display
- One for the books?! Dubai man to attempt to break this high-flying (or falling!) world record this week