Swedish women don hijab in protest of anti-Muslim hate crime
Women across Sweden have been posting photos of themselves in the traditional Muslim headscarf on the internet in solidarity with a young woman who was attacked for wearing a veil.
Among those taking part in the protest were well known politicians and TV hosts, BBC reported.
Campaigners leading the 'hijab outcry' (hijab uppropet, in Swedish) called on the government to ensure that women in Sweden are guaranteed the right to religious freedom.
The victim was taken to hospital after the attacker tore off her hijab and hit her head against a car on Saturday, according to the BBC.
The assailant also shouted racist insults at the woman - who was heavily pregnant - during the attack on Saturday in a Stockholm suburb, the victim's friends told Sweden's media.
Police are now investigating the incident.
Thousands of photos were posted to the Instgram photo sharing app Instagram under the #hijabuppropet.
- Throw your hijabs in the air like you just don't care! Thousands of Iranian women ditch their hijabs on Facebook
- Middle East Shocked, Disgusted by Iraqi Woman's Murder
- Latin Women Find Love on Muslim Dating Websites
- Muslim Women's Veils Made Stylish by Turkish Magazine
- Out of the kitchen and on to the page: Saudi women appear in school books for the first time