Milking it: UAE maid makes off with family jewels
A Sri Lankan woman was arrested at Sharjah International Airport with her boss' jewellery which was hidden in a tin of baby milk (Photo: Dreams Time)
A housemaid has been arrested as she tried to leave the UAE with golden gems worth Dhs82,000 that she allegedly stole from her boss.
The Sri Lankan woman was caught at Sharjah International Airport when security officers became suspicious when they discovered the jewels hidden in a tin of powdered milk that was inside her baggage.
Police said on Saturday that initial investigations show that the maid had stolen the jewellery from her employer’s house while her boss had been away on holiday.
The maid confessed to her crime during initial questioning by officers and also told police that two other Sri Lankan maids helped her carry out the theft and encouraged her to leave the country before her boss returned.
Police arrested the other two maids and the trio have been referred to public prosecution.
Police warned employers that they should be careful when leaving domestic workers alone in their homes when travelling for holidays and to report all those suspected of engaging in criminal activities.
Do you think UAE families should be more careful when employing maids? Share your comments with us below!
- Boozy ballads: Kuwaiti drunk hosts 'free concert', gets arrested
- Asian maid found guilty of mixing poisonous chemicals in baby's milk
- Migrant workers face strain on marital relations when abroad: Maid leapt from moving vehicle to end life after betrayal
- Whodunnit?? Mecca´s mysterious case of the hidden haji
- 'Maid stole her employer's lingerie'