Black burka widows: Why are Yemeni women killing their husbands?
As many as 50 women in Yemen were found guilty of murdering their husbands in various provinces last year, the ministry of interior said.
According to the ministry’s recent report on women-related crimes, the husbands were murdered in the capital and the provinces of Mahweet, Hajja,Taiz and Sana’a. The women were aided and abated by their family members and other next of kin.
The women’s motives were inequality in marriage, domestic violence, jealousy, women’s sense of inferiority in family as well as economic pressures. The women ended their partners’ lives by shooting, poisoning or beating them to death.
Despite the sudden increase in bloody spousal violence in 2012, Yemeni women have continued to grab the attention of hundreds of foreign husbands. A recent figures released by Immigration and Nationality Department at the ministry of interior showed that 746 foreigners were given permission last year to tie the knot with Yemeni women.
- Hey Saudi brides - get the deets about your man before tying the knot!
- Saudi women do better with foreign men than with Saudis, marriage statistics show
- You're invited! Saudi's single ladies are throwing parties to celebrate...divorce?!
- Egypt's Islamist Family Laws Take Women Back to Square One
- 33 Kuwaiti women divorce husbands who sneak off to Lebanon, under cover of making Omrah in Mecca