Get your pop, jazz, & gypsy on with the Alexandria Opera House String Orchestra & Sweet Sound Band
The Alexandria Opera House String Orchestra and Sweet Sound Band will join forces ahead of Valentine's day for special concerts on 9 February in Alexandria and 10 February in Damanhour.
The Alexandria Opera House String Orchestra was formed in 2004, with Gehad Dawood as its principal conductor. Since 2008, the orchestra has been also conducted by a number of Egyptian musicians, such as Hassan Sharara, Mahmoud Osman and Mounir Nasr El-Din. Since its creation, the orchestra regularly performs chamber works on strings from a Western repertoire as well as compositions by Arab composers, on the Alexandria Opera House's stage.
Founded in the 1970s by Mounir Nasr El-Din, the Sweet Sound Band often returns to Cairo and Alexandria stages with a selection of pop, jazz and gypsy music. Today, Sweet Sound Band consists of Mounir Nasr El-Din on violin, Kadry Nasr El-Din on drums, Akram Abdallah on bass guitar, Omar Eltoudy on keyboard and piano, Akram El-Hanboly on lead guitar, along with singer Hala Nada.
The Valentine's concert will be a cooperation between the two ensembles, conducted by Mounir Nasr El-Din and joined by a guest singer, Mostafa Saad El-Din.
Sunday 9 February at 8pm
Alexandria Opera House (Sayed Darwish Theatre), 22 El-Horreya Rd, El-Raml station, Alexandria.
Monday 10 February at 8pm
Damanhour Opera House, Damanhour, El-Behera
- Opera House special: Munich Percussion and String Orchestra to perform in Egypt
- Art Alert: Valentine's music with String Orchestra and Sweet Sound Band in Alexandria and Damanhour
- Take your pick! A week of films, fairs, and fun in Egypt
- Take your pick! Here's what's going down in Egypt this week (February 9-16)
- Take your pick of fun things to do in Egypt this week (22-29 December)!