Is Egyptian President Sisi making waves of the bad kind in Amr Waked's life?
We know that Amr Waked is somewhat of a "Hollywood star," having starred in a bunch of A-List blockbusters such as "Lucy" alongside Scarlett Johansson, and "Syriana" with George Clooney and whatnot; but that doesn't mean that he should forget all about his Egyptian roots, right?
But that's not why it's been rumored that Waked recently gave up his Egyptian citizenship. Rumor has it that after General Al Sisi's win in the Presidential elections, Amr said "no thank you" to being associated with the artistic Arab country.
According to Laha Magazine, one local Egyptian newspapers published an article on behalf of Waked stating that he had officially denounced his Egyptian citizenship, telling Egyptians: "Congratulations on the military rule of the county, and from now on it doesn't honor me to be an Egyptian citizen."
However, Immediately after publishing the false report, Amr took on to Twitter to clarify the matter, saying: “I stress it once again: An official invalidation of what has been written about my citizenship and me being disgraced at being an Egyptian. I assure you that I'm very proud to be an Egyptian and would never say otherwise. The journalist who published the article apologized to me and promised to publish a second article stating that he was mistaken on my behalf.”
Before Sis's win, Amr had announced his full support for Sis's rival Hamdeen Sabahi.
- Oh, MBC... Middle Eastern Broadcasting Center forced to apologise for celebrity gay list of shame
- Is this the end for Morsi? A breakdown of Egypt's June 30 protest
- Egyptian actors in Hollywood films: Why Amr Waked is on top of that list right now!
- The next Ata-what? Sisi's policies are not as secular as you think
- Amro Waked supports having a woman as president of Egypt