Amr Waked rips off 'Now You See Me' idea for his new movie?
Did he really copy the 'Now You See Me' movie? (Facebook)
Another day, another chance for Egyptians to rip the shreds of someone on social media. This time, it’s Egyptian actor Amr Waked and his new movie El-Erd Beyetkalem. Within seconds of Waked posting the movie’s trailer on Facebook, hundreds of comments have been posted, attacking Waked and everyone involved in the movie for ripping of Now You See Me.
If you don’t know what Now You See Me is, it’s a movie about a group of illusionists who pull off bank heists and other criminal activities. I’ve watched the trailer for El-Erd Beyetkalem, and yes, I do understand why would some, if not most, people think it’s a rip-off of Now You See Me. The trailer shows a group of magicians that are clearly up to no good and are performing magic tricks, in the same style as Now You See Me. Whether it’s an actual rip-off or not, so what? So what if it is? Originality is mostly dead and people need to get over it. But maybe, just maybe, it wasn’t a rip-off, maybe they were just inspired by Now You See Me. Ugh, people seriously need to take a chill pill and sit down.
Here are some of the comments accusing Waked and everyone involved in the movie for ripping it off from Now You See Me:
Luckily, some people came to defend Waked and everyone who worked on El-Erd Beyetkalem:
- Going to the movies tonight? You might just see Amr Diab there too!
- Egyptian actors in Hollywood films: Why Amr Waked is on top of that list right now!
- A star in his own right! Amr Waked talks international success and making millions of dollars!
- Arab Movie Stars on Mubarak.
- You Had Me at Joss Stone: Spring of Culture's about to bloom with British artist