Angelina Jolie makes massive donation to Syria
Hollywood star and Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Angelina Jolie, has donated 100 thousand US dollars to the cause of Syrian refugees. Angelina is known for being generous with her time as she visits struggling countries all over the world for her role at the UNHCR but this one-off donation was big-hearted even for her.
She visited Syrian refugee camps in Turkey last week, bringing toys with her to give out to children and talking to families about what they had been through.
The star also spoke at a press conference for the UNHCR to discuss why helping refugees was so important. According to the actress, who has interviewed refugees across the world, in order to flee their home, refugees must be at a point of such agony that all other alternatives are impossible.
Some 4.3 million people were forced to flee their homes last year alone to escape injustice imposed by their governments. According to Angelina, there are an additional 2.7 million Afghani and 12 million people who do not hold any form of citizenship.
The actress said that sadly, the number of refugees around the world is increasing yearly and they are in dire need of assistance not only on a humane level but also on a political one.
What do you think about Angelina's donation? Tell us your thoughts below.
- Angelina Jolie Becomes UN Goodwill Ambassador
- Angelina Jolie: Hollywood star pitches up in Syrian refugee camp
- Don't forget the Syrians! Angelina Jolie's got their back with an eye-opening video
- Refugee activist extraordinaire Angelina Jolie returns to Jordan
- A Hollywood honor: Lebanon gets props from Angelina Jolie for Syrian refugee generosity