Oh Mohammed Assaf, who could ever replace you? Get ready for Arab Idol 2014 this month!
During the summer of 2013, 23-year-old Mohammed Assaf spent a month trying every possible method to make it out of Gaza with one thing in mind: Arab Idol's auditions in Cairo. By the time he sorted out a visa and the 250-mile journey from Gaza to the Cairo hotel, he almost didn't make it in time to even register.
But Assaf went on to win Arab Idol, perform in the U.S. and shoot Gaza into international news with different, much more musical headlines than usual.
Especially now, the story sure hits home for the Middle East.
Which is why it's gonna be pretty hard to top it this year! That's right. Arab Idol 2014 has arrived.
The third season will light up this Friday September 5 on Arab network MBC. Get ready for three months of the good, the bad, the pitch-perfect beutiful and the screeched out nightmares of idol-wannabes, every Friday and Saturday!
In the first phase, we'll watch contestants who auditioned and were eliminated when the show first began filming during Ramadan. On the judging panel this year we've got UAE singer Ahlam, Egyptian music distributor Hassan Al Shafei, and Lebanese singers Nancy Ajram and Wael Kfoury — who has replaced last year's judge, Lebanese superstar Ragheb Alama.
In case you want to recap, a few of Arab Idol 2013's big names are supposed to make some surprise appearances as well.
Fingers crossed it's the ones we like, (we're looking at you, Mohammed Assaf)!
- Assaf arrogant and ungrateful? You're wrong Dounia Batma - he wishes you the best of luck!
- Moving house! Mohammad Assaf looking to relocate to Dubai
- Cat Fight! Arab Idol's Yousra & Salma thrash it out over Assaf
- Grass is greener on the other side: Israel lets Mohammad Assaf move to West Bank
- Going places! Celebrate New Year's Eve in Bethlehem with Arab Idol's Salma Rashid