Has the fat lady sung for Cairo Opera House?
Following the approval of Mohamed Saber Arab, the Minister of Culture, the chairperson of the Cairo Opera House, Ines Abdel Dayem announced suspending all activities and concerts taking place across all opera venues.
The cancellation extends to Cairo and Alexandria - the Cairo Opera House, Al Gomhoreya Theatre, the Sayed Darwish Theatre, the Damanhour Opera House, etc. - and will go on until further notice.
The decision is in response to political instability and deadly confrontations between pro- and anti-Morsi protesters across the country. In Cairo, the clashes outside the Presidential Palace left six dead and 450 injured.
The Cairo Opera House will keep the audience posted with the updates about its activities, once they are resumed.
- The fat lady sings on at Cairo Opera House
- In his honor: the late Ammar El-Sherei is toast of the Cairo town
- Cairo mourns the tragic death of former Opera House chairman
- The protests that stole Christmas: festive concerts postponed in Cairo
- No flies on us: Cairo Opera House says Islamists can't touch them