Flying the flag for the World Expo 2020! Victorious Dubai Crown Prince Hamdan climbs Burj Khalifa
A 15-second video showed the Crown Prince of Dubai sitting atop the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa, and carrying the UAE flag in celebration of his country winning the World Expo 2020 bid.
Prince Hamdan bin Rashid al-Maktoum published the video on his Instagram account Wednesday, and wrote a congratulatory message to the UAE.
“This flag is accustomed to being at the top, and all the summits will belong to it,” he wrote in Arabic.
On Wednesday, the UAE beat bids from Turkey’s Izmir, Brazil’s Sao Paulo, Russia’s Yekaterinburg after three rounds of voting by delegates of the 168-nation Bureau International des Expositions in Paris.
After the announcement celebration ensued in the UAE by citizens and residents.
The world’s tallest tower was sparkling with lights. Burj Khalifa, which towers at 2,717 feet, had fireworks around it to show over-the-top glitz festivity.
Winning the World Expo is not only a milestone for the UAE but for the region, as it is the first time a Mideast country will ever host the exhibition.
- Will World Expo 2020 be in Dubai? Why yes, if filmmakers can help it!
- Stalker alert! Shatha Hassoun snaps secret pix of Julio Iglesias in Dubai
- Dubai plans to break firework record as Vanilla Ice fans break dance the NYE night away
- Tom Cruise says: first Burj Khalifa, then the world
- New year, new awards ceremony: Dubai rolls out the red carpet for more stars in 2013