Egyptian TV refuses Hunaidi
Egypt’s local television channel has refused to pay 250 thousand dollars to air two of Muhammad Hunaidi’s movies, according to the Qatari daily Al Raya.
The two films are “Sa’yedi Fel Al Jam’ah Al Amrikyeh” (Sa’yedi at the American University) and “Hamam fe Amsterdam” (Hamam in Amsterdam), both a great success for Hunaidi in the late 1990’s.
The Egyptian channel has not stated the reason for its surprising decision, especially since the channel is facing low ratings, allegedly for not showing a sufficient number of quality new movies.
The Egyptian channel might be refusing due to a lack of funds, although unlikely since the past Ramadan season of advertisements generated over 200 million Egyptian Pounds for the channel, a 55% increase from last Ramadan. The channel might be refusing Muhammad Hunaidi himself.
Other satellite channels are now competing to air the two movies
- 100,000 dollars for megastars and 50,000 for superstars
- Egyptian state TV refusing to air advertisements for the opposition
- The best moment in TV history? Haifa Wehbe swears her mouth off for laughs
- Head to Head: Qamar in fierce competition with Hunaidi
- Mohammad Hunaidi to return with sequel to "Mosalsaliko" in Ramadan