Daily Mail apologizes to George Clooney for that "fabricated" story on his MIL
Sorry is the hardest word to say, but British tabloid The Daily Mail has apologized to George Clooney after he slammed them for publishing a fabricated story about his future mother-in-law Baria Alamuddin.
The DM report, which has now been taken down, claimed Baria is opposed to the marriage on religious grounds, and has been telling "half of Beirut" she is against the wedding. Clooney published an op-ed Wednesday on USA Today to set the record straight about the "completely fabricated" tale.
"I seldom respond to tabloids, unless it involves someone else and their safety or well being," the actor writes. "None of the story is factually true ... she is in no way against the marriage."
Clooney specifically wanted to put the rumor to rest that Baria had joked about Druze religious traditions that end up with the death of the bride. He condemned the publication's "irresponsibility, in this day and age, to exploit religious difference where none exist," and called the report "negligent" and "dangerous." The actor also pointed out that Baria is not even Druze, a monotheistic religion in the Middle East.
"If they fabricate stories of Amal being pregnant, or that the marriage will take place on the set ofDownton Abbey, or that I'm running for office...I don't care," the star concedes. "When they put my family and friends in harm's way, they cross far beyond just a laughable tabloid and into the arena of inciting violence."
However the newspaper explained that the story was "not a fabrication but supplied in good faith by a reputable and trusted freelance journalist."
The Mail has "launched a full investigation."
It went on to say, "However, we accept Mr. Clooney's assurance that the story is inaccurate and we apologise to him, Miss Amal Alamuddin and her mother, Baria, for any distress caused."
- If momma-in-law ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! George Clooney slams rumors about his Lebanese MIL
- Sorry, Daily Mail, but Clooney doesn't accept your apology for starting rumors about Amal's momma
- President Clooney? George wants to enter the White House and Amal Alamuddin will help him do just that!
- Save the date! George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin are set for a fall wedding
- One step closer to wedded bliss: George Clooney's co-star throws bridal shower for Amal Alamuddin