Say what?! George Clooney's fam shocked when he proposed to Beirut-born Amal Alamuddin
Were you as shocked as George Clooney's cousin when he proposed our region's beloved Amal Alamuddin?
George Clooney's family were "surprised" when he got engaged.
The 'Monuments Men' actor - who famously declared he would never marry again - proposed to lawyer Amal Alamuddin in April, and his relatives were as shocked as his fans about the happy news.
George's cousin Miguel Ferrer - who is the son of Oscar-winning actor José Ferrer and singer Rosemary Clooney - told Fance's Tele Star magazine: "At first the family was surprised to learn the happy [engagement] news."
The 59-year-old actor went on to praise Amal as a "wonderful woman" but refused to be drawn on the details of their wedding, which is expected to take place in September.
He said: "I don't know if I can tell you a lot about this marriage. Obviously I'll be there!"
It was recently claimed 53-year-old George - who was previously married to Talia Balsam from 1989 to 1993 - and his British fiancee are planning to marry in Venice, Italy after deciding against holding their wedding at his Lake Como estate because they felt it wasn't private enough.
A source said recently: "George and Amal want to be married in Italy, but they need a location that offers them and their guests privacy."
George - who also didn't want to inconvenience his Lake Como neighbors with the attention his wedding would bring - and Amal were seen dining in Venice a few weeks ago after touring wedding venues and are said to be planning to marry at a palace in the city.
- Wedding special: Venetians predict a larger-than-life wedding for Mr & Mrs Clooney in their floating city
- Here's some cash, Clooney! Amal Alamuddin's Lebanese 'rents are footing the wedding bill
- If momma-in-law ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! George Clooney slams rumors about his Lebanese MIL
- A very Lebanese Ellen DeGeneres: TV show host dresses as Amal Alamuddin for Halloween
- Syria's sexiest advocate Angelina Jolie predicts George Clooney will get hitched to his fiancee first