Say what?! George Clooney's fam shocked when he proposed to Beirut-born Amal Alamuddin
George Clooney's family were "surprised" when he got engaged.
The 'Monuments Men' actor - who famously declared he would never marry again - proposed to lawyer Amal Alamuddin in April, and his relatives were as shocked as his fans about the happy news.
George's cousin Miguel Ferrer - who is the son of Oscar-winning actor José Ferrer and singer Rosemary Clooney - told Fance's Tele Star magazine: "At first the family was surprised to learn the happy [engagement] news."
The 59-year-old actor went on to praise Amal as a "wonderful woman" but refused to be drawn on the details of their wedding, which is expected to take place in September.
He said: "I don't know if I can tell you a lot about this marriage. Obviously I'll be there!"
It was recently claimed 53-year-old George - who was previously married to Talia Balsam from 1989 to 1993 - and his British fiancee are planning to marry in Venice, Italy after deciding against holding their wedding at his Lake Como estate because they felt it wasn't private enough.
A source said recently: "George and Amal want to be married in Italy, but they need a location that offers them and their guests privacy."
George - who also didn't want to inconvenience his Lake Como neighbors with the attention his wedding would bring - and Amal were seen dining in Venice a few weeks ago after touring wedding venues and are said to be planning to marry at a palace in the city.
- Wedding special: Venetians predict a larger-than-life wedding for Mr & Mrs Clooney in their floating city
- Here's some cash, Clooney! Amal Alamuddin's Lebanese 'rents are footing the wedding bill
- If momma-in-law ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! George Clooney slams rumors about his Lebanese MIL
- A very Lebanese Ellen DeGeneres: TV show host dresses as Amal Alamuddin for Halloween
- Syria's sexiest advocate Angelina Jolie predicts George Clooney will get hitched to his fiancee first