She did WHAT? Hiba Jamal takes off Islamic head veil on TV
Hiba Jamal faces Islamic head veil drama this week. (Image: Facebook)
She was named as one of Arabian Business's most powerful Arab women in 2012, and now journalist and TV host Hiba Jamal has done something which some feminists will for sure think is powerful and empowering.
Hiba appeared on the first episode of her new show, “Sayidaty,”minus her hijab (Islamic head veil). Fans and the media were in total shock, and Hiba was accused of removing her hijab to get the job with “Rotana Khalijia” TV.
The journalist was first introduced to viewers through MBC's popular talk show “Kalam Nawa'em” (Feminine Talk).
An uproar broke out on Twitter as the majority of her fans considered her behavior as “inappropriate” for a Saudi woman, while others saw it as her right and freedom to do as she pleases.
One Twitter critic wrote that Hiba took off the hijab in order to get an exclusive deal with Rotana, where none of their other Saudi presenters wear the head veil.
Some said that the fact Hiba is married to a liberal Saudi has played a role in giving up her Islamic head cover.
What did Hiba's hubby Nasser Al Sarami have to say about this? The high “Al Arabiya” official tweeted that he's very proud of his wife who returned to the scene after obtaining her Master's degree in Journalism.
- Saudi sex-changes empower some, shock others
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Lebanese Shaking off the veil: When Hijab is not compatible with tight jeans
- The naked truth: Why Muslims should 'buck' the stripping trend and keep their veils on
- Arabs take to Twitter to describe what they would do if the power was in their hands