Jamal will be Gamal, but not without a fight! "Lifelong Friend" has some enemies
Jamal Suliman is in preparations for the new Egyptian television drama "Sadeeq Al Umur" (Lifelong Friend) with director Haitham Abu Al Laban are not going without a glitch. Apparently you can't get political in Egypt right now without a fight. Who knew?
The drama revolves around the life of the late Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser between the period of 1961-1967 and sheds life on important events during that time that the President and his lifelong friend General Abdel Hakim Amer encountered. The story is written by Mammdouh Al Laithy and produced by Ehab Talat.
According to the Middle East news portal Elaph, the fact that Suliman will play the role of Abd Al Nasser has ignited social media skepticism, with many people considering the aged actor unfit to play the role of a figure that has come to be an icon in Arab history.
Some accuse Suliman of selling out his country Syria and still other think politics should not be linked to art.
In his defense the star stressed that he is doing his research. He'll be paying attention to the smallest details about the life of Abdel Nasser to ensure that he portrays him as he was. From reading books to interviewing scholars, he's gathering all the info he can about the late politician.
- Move over boy: Jamal Suliman asks son's permission to change FB profile pic!
- Hold the phone, Jamal Suliman responds to rumors of his detainment in Egypt
- Ahmed Zaki to Play Former Egyptian Defense Minister’s Role
- Nour El Sherif to portray the life of Jamal Abdul Nasser
- Déjà vu? Historical drama "Lifelong Friend" suggests Egypt has seen same political situation in past