JLo shocks world, sings 'Happy Birthday' to Turkmenistan President
A 'real' happy birthday for the President of Turkmenistan
Jennifer Lopez reportedly sang Happy Birthday to Turkmenistan leader Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov in a lavish celebration at the Caspian Sea resort in the former Soviet state.
In a clinging outfit, Lopez sang and danced with scantily-dressed backup dancers in a rare performance for the Muslim country, watched by ministers, ambassadors and chief executives of state-owned companies.
Lopez later changed into a traditional Turkmen dress to sing "Happy birthday, Mr. President" to 56-year-old Berdymukhamedov along with celebrities from Russia, Ukraine, Turkey and China.
Backlash against the singer's appearance in the country -- cited for human rights abuses and authoritarian rule -- began immediately after Lopez's crew began tweeting about the event.
"I wonder were all my Turkmenistan followers are!? Hit me up!" her choreographer J.R. Taylor wrote on Twitter account @Didntinviteme, though the tweet has since been deleted considering web and social media outlets are restricted or unavailable in most of the country.
But other tweets about the event remain online, including one from Lopez's backup dancers.
- Why, yes, Mariah Carey will sing for the Sultan's son of Islam-influenced Brunei if he pays her $1.5m
- Well, if JLo's doing it, Nancy Ajram will too!
- JLo explains it all, defending Turkmenistan performance
- JLo still in the hotseat by human rights haters
- What tripping? Our eyes were firmly fixed on Jennifer Lopez's breathtaking Elie Saab creation