Katy Perry's Egyptian pharaonic-era "Dark Horse" video is out!
The highly-anticipated music video "Dark Horse" in which American pop singer Katy Perry poses as an Egyptian pharaonic-era queen has been finally released, on Thursday. The song features rapper Juicy J.Millions of Perry's fans have been talking about the video on social media since a 33-second teaser hit the internet at the beginning of the week.
The video even had its very own hashtag on Twitter, #DarkHorseVideo, where fans posted digitally edited photographs of themselves in similar ancient Egyptian costumes.
Despite visual references to ancient Egypt, neither the lyrics, nor the music -- which mixes electronic with pop and rap -- have any relation to Egyptian culture, relying instead on infusing an atmosphere of fables and magic into a song about love and power in a relationship. At certain points we see the name of the imaginary Queen Katy Patra.
The song "Dark Horse" was first released as a promotional single in September 2013 and then became part of Perry's fourth studio albumtitled Prism a month later, which also features her big hits "Roar" and "Unconditionally."
Born in 1984, singer and songwriter Katy Perry is one of the best-known American pop stars today. She has been nominated for several Grammy Awards. Among the awards she has won are two American Music Awards, 13 awards of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers and several Billboard Awards.
- Katy Perry: Cleopatra, Dark Horse and actress? Singer may pair up with Vin Diesel in "xXx" movie
- Dubai-based singer Glen Perry reminds peeps to keep typhoon victims in mind
- Shout out to Saudi! DJ Omar Basaad is the first Arab EDM producer nominated for MTV EMAs
- From fresh-faced teen to a hot Queen: Katy Perry celebrates her 30th birthday in Morocco!
- Justice is served: Katy Perry's Muslim-offending music video edited following worldwide petition