You're under arrest! Layla Awad taken into custody by the Syrian government
Syrian actress Layla Awad was arrested at the Syrian-Lebanese borders this week when she tried to enter Damascus to visit her only son, who still resides in the conflict-stricken city.
The actress had just returned from Germany at the time when police arrested her and took her into custody at the Al Khatib police station in Damascus.
According to Sayidaty.net, Syrian actress Yara Sabri, who's known for publishing the names of those artists arrested and released by the Syrian government, has announced her full-fledged support of Layla and demanded she be released along with all the others who have been falsely taken into custody.
In addition, Syrian author Fouad Hamira, a supporter of the opposition and who was arrested by the government several months ago before being recently released, called for the release of Layla as well.
Layla is known to be among the celebrities who are active supporters of the Syrian opposition and in support of the revolution against the government of Bashar Al Assad. She has been an activist on the opposition side along with Yara Sabri.
- Mai Sakkaf arrested for joining protests against Bashar Al Asad
- Shut up and let me go! Syrian actress May Skaf set free by military forces
- Syrian artists and scholars tortured then released from prison
- Syrian actress Raghda supports Bashar Al Assad, calls opposers "traitors"
- Asalah defies Syrian government