'Graphic' nudity hits Dubai in Marwa Adel exhibition
Marwa Adel's 'Faceless' exhibition will run until 2 February
Click here to add Ahmed Askalany as an alert
Disable alert for Ahmed Askalany,
Click here to add Cairo as an alert
Disable alert for Cairo,
Click here to add Dubai as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai,
Click here to add FebruaryArt Sawa as an alert
Disable alert for FebruaryArt Sawa,
Click here to add Wael Darwish as an alert
Disable alert for Wael Darwish
Born in 1984 in Cairo, Marwa Adel uses photography and graphic design to tackle controversial issues in contemporary Egyptian society, such as gender issues, questions of identity, and the taboo of the female figure. Her work has a strong autobiographical subtext; she uses art as an outlet for her frustrations at living in a society that throttles the freedom of women.
Adel's photographs of nude women, adorned with computer graphics images, reflect the universal struggle of women faced with gender stereotypes everyday across the globe. Her conceptual photographs posses both aesthetic and conceptual value, urging women to break free from the path laid down for them by a rigid society.
Art Sawa is a contemporary art gallery based in Dubai as a platform for established and emerging Arab artists. Egyptian artists such as Wael Darwish, Hend El-Falafly, and sculptor Ahmed Askalany were previously exhibited in the gallery. Art Sawa will launch a new space in Dubai's new art destination, dubbed the Dubai International Financial Center (DIFC).
Exhibition runs until 2 February
Art Sawa, Dubai, UAE
DIFC, Gate Village, Building No. 8
- Laura El-Tantawy lifts the veil in Dubai exhibition
- Sign and Graphic Imaging show – 2010 dates announced
- Art Sawa to host the First Solo Photography Exhibition of the Artist Marwa Adel in Dubai
- Marwa Adel helps females break free from the shackles of stereotypes
- Jacky’s Gulf exhibits a range of HP Printers for digital proofing, imaging and industrial super-wide format solvent printers at Sign and Graphic Imag