Egyptian rock-funk band give music lovers a taste of what's to come
The band, which has played together for years in Alexandria and Cairo, boasts a unique sound, fusing rock and funk with oriental beats and melodies. Their lyrics tackle social issues, while their concerts – especially in Alexandria – often prompt audiences to chant anti-establishment slogans.
Massar Egbari was the main band featured in Ahmed Abdallah's 2010 film 'Microphone,' which portrayed Alexandria's independent music scene.
In spite of their on-stage successes, the band never produced an album or music video. This, however, is about to change. In cooperation with Film Clinic, the production company behind 'Microphone,' the band will soon release its debut album – 'Ekra El-Khabar' – along with its first music video.
The band encourages attendees of the upcoming Bibliotheca Alexandrina concert to hold onto their ticket stubs, with which they can qualify for discounts on the upcoming album.
Thursday, 7 February at 8pm
Great Hall, Bibliotheca Alexandrina
Saturday, 9 February at 8pm
El Sawy Culturewheel, 26 July Street, Zamalek
- Cairo gets an electro shock this Valentine's Day
- Sahra takes the Culturewheel: Egyptian band to play in El-Sawy
- Rocking band Alert: Mashrou' Leila to make Alexandria debut this Nov
- Bands rock socks off at Sanitarium rock concert!
- From Indie-pop to reggae-funk, Cairo Jazz Club is keeping Tuesdays rockin'